Former Thunder Player Marco Terminesi Signs Again with Montreal
Lots of news coming out of Montreal recently. The Impact had announced the resignation of head coach Marc Dos Santos last month after a very disappointing and poor start. The team was 2-3-7 under Dos Santos this season.
Sporting Director Nick De Santis took over the team on an interim basis and is trying to turn his squad around. He has 1 tie and 1 loss since taking the reins.
The Impact owner/president Joey Saputo has obviously not given up on his team this last division II season before moving to MLS. His Impact sit at 2-4-8 at the halfway point of the season.
One of the first moves Montreal made after Dos Santos left was to bring in veteran Cuban forward Eduardo Sebrango who is 38 years old and may be looked to for his leadership more than his speed or goal scoring prowess. Sebrango scored 5 goals in his final season with Montreal.
De Santis and the Impact have also released 3 players from the team: forward Idriss Ech Chergui, defenders Kevin Hatchi and Richard Pelletier. Montreal have now released 3 of their 6 French players.
The team announced today the signing of former Minnesota Thunder and Montreal Impact forward Marco Terminesi. The 26-year-old Woodbridge, Ontario, native made 9 appearances for the Impact last season with no goals and 1 assist.
In 2009 while playing for the Thunder, Terminesi had 6 goals in 17 appearances and was averaging just over a goal every 90 minutes.
Terminesi played 19 games for his indoor team, the Milwaukee Wave, this past season scoring 25 goals with 19 assists and helping them to the league championship.
The Canadian forward told IMS several weeks ago that he had planned on playing with the Impact this spring but after several foreign players were signed they no longer had room for him on the roster. Terminesi hunted around for other teams to sign with but Montreal’s decision came after the May 26th Championship game for the Wave. By that time most teams had filled their tightly budgeted rosters. He stated he had been training and keeping in shape and still hoped to catch on with a team. Ironically, some of the players Montreal had signed have now been released by the team.
On July 1st Montreal announced they had lost the services of Pierre-Rudolph Mayard for the rest of the 2011 season due to a knee injury.
The Impact had also temporarily lost their captain Nevio Pizzolitto for disciplinary reasons after the CSA investigated the defender for a spitting incident. The incident allegedly happened on May 4, against the Vancouver Whitecaps in a Canadian championship game at Empire Field.
According to a tweet from the Impact’s official Twitter page, Nevio Pizzolitto will be available for Wednesday night’s home game against the Fort Lauderdale Strikers. “His suspension has been lifted after attending the CSA hearing Monday,” said the Impact’s tweet.
Recently the team has been tweeting that they have had several players on trial with the team including: former Portland Timber and New Zealand defender Cameron Knowles and French defender and Guadeloupe National Team player Eddy Viator (Amiens SC).