NASL Commissioner David Downs Says Sale of Minnesota Stars Could be Just Days Away
Several sources told IMS over the weekend that the North American Soccer League’s Board of Governors “did not take a vote” at the meetings held on Friday and Saturday before the Championship final leg game in Tampa Bay. The sources said the league did not take a vote because they were very optimistic of completing the sale of the Stars to a local investor who has been looking into the purchase of the team for at least 8 weeks.
This morning, NASL Commissioner David Downs confirmed that the league’s board of governors had held off on voting on the fate of the Stars and better yet says the outcome will most likely be positive and is only days away.
“We are close, really close,” Downs said Monday morning. “We believe we are very close to a solution but we are still waiting to see how this plays out. I don’t expect it to be more than a week and it could be in a few days. Quite frankly it has to be that soon because we have to make schedules and announce season tickets but we are feeling very positive about the outcome.”
Last week Downs had said the team was past the due diligence stage and was ”negotiating terms and conditions.”